In the Spring of 2016 Veterans R&R will be launching its EAGALA Certified Heroes Equine Leadership Program. The EAGALA Model is acknowledged by the Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs as the equine therapy of choice for treatment.
Although we support Cognitive Behavior Therapy (traditional talk therapy) it only works for 35% of Veterans…What about the other 65%?
The suicide rate for veterans is roughly double the rate of those who never served. The VA’s National Center for PTSD reports that as many as 20 percent of Iraqi and Enduring Freedom veterans and as many as 30 percent of Vietnam Veterans suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
There is not a practicing EAGALA Military Certified Provider in the Midwest.
Heroes Equine Leadership Program (H.E.L.P) Goal:
Connect Veterans and Active Duty with mental health and human development treatment options for PTSD, TBI, hyper vigilance, transition and reintegration, deployment, military sexual trauma, substance abuse, depression, anxiety, relationship problems and communication.
Individual Leadership Overview
Sessions are facilitated by an Equine Specialist (ES), Mental Health Professional (MHP) Military Mentor (MM) and specially trained Therapy Horses. Veterans and Active Military are tasked with learning or relearning non-verbal communication, assertiveness, creative thinking and problem-solving, responsibility, confidence, teamwork and relationships building.
Equine Growth & Learning Association Overview (EAGALA)
EAGALA sets the global standard for care. EAGALA is the world’s largest and most professionally respected association for Equine assisted psychotherapy. EAGALA has more than 4,000 members in 49 countries and has certified the professional staff of more than 600 treatment programs worldwide. Only licensed, certified professionals who make up the EAGALA Network are authorized to offer the exclusive EAGALA Model of Equine assisted psychotherapy to their clients.
EAGALA Military Services
This is a designation which indicates the EAGALA Model certified professionals have specialized training and experience in the military community. The designation requires an annual renewal in which providers must complete continuing education each year to remain abreast of current military lifestyle and issues.
EAGALA Military Services sets a high standard of excellence – respecting the cultural and professional competence needed to provide the best services possible for the military community.
The EAGALA Military Services Designation is unique in the world. EAGALA Military Services Providers are specially credentialed with a deep understanding of military culture and life.
Whether treating members of a unit suffering the effects of PTSD, a veteran trying his or her best to find a place back in civilian life or a Gold Star Family working through their loss and grief, it’s critical that treatment protocols make the strongest, most rapid impact.
EAGALA Military Services Providers are committed to helping service members and their families strengthen resilience and coping skills. They’re uniquely qualified to treat:
- Transitions and reintegration
- Depression and anxiety
- Relationship problems
EAGALA Military Services Providers know that by effectively linking their clients’ values and learning style to their treatment plan, service members, veterans and their families can more quickly and completely understand and integrate new perspectives and behaviors into their lives.